Latest weather predictions for the Four Corners show the recent hot, dry spell will snap this week, according to the National Weather Service.
The forecast for Montezuma County includes a chance for rain through Friday, with sunny skies this weekend.
A 20 percent chance of rain and thunderstorms was forecast for Monday night, increasing to a 30 percent chance on Tuesday and a 50 percent chance on Wednesday. The possibility of rain decreases to 30 percent on Thursday.
High temperatures through Wednesday are expected to be in the lower 80s, with overnight lows around 55. Highs Thursday through Sundae are expected to be in the uppers 80s.
Jeff Colton, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Grand Junction, said a pulse of moisture is on its way north from Baja California, and could reach Southwest Colorado as early as Sunday afternoon.
He said initial storms will bring thunderstorms that will mainly produce lightning, but as the moisture builds through Monday, rain could be on the way.
“That moisture will increase through Monday and stay over our area through much of the week,” he said. “We’ll have scattered showers each evening through Wednesday.”
Colton said the “early monsoonal push” should help alleviate fire danger. Humidity levels are expected to come up, temperatures are expected to slightly drop, and winds are predicted to be low.
He did caution, however, at the risk of lightning with the coming storms, which are expected to hit the hardest on Tuesday and Wednesday.
“Right now, especially early on in monsoon (season), thunderstorms produce more lighting and wind than rain,” he said. “But after a few days, we’ll have a better rain chance.”