A mobile home was destroyed by fire Saturday evening south of Cortez.
One resident of the home was examined for injuries and released, said Jeff Vandevoorde, chief of the Cortez Fire Protection District.
A water heater malfunction is believed to have caused the fire, which gutted the residence, he said.
The home was located at 2753 County Road G. Firefighters responded at approximately 6 p.m. Saturday, he said.
A resident was reportedly alerted to the fire when a visitor to the home spotted smoke while pulling into the driveway. The smoke detector went off shortly afterward.
This was the second residence destroyed by fire in a week.
A fire destroyed a small apartment building south of Cortez on Feb. 23.
The building, located at 14336 U.S. 160 south of Cortez, is likely a total loss. Investigation of the fire has been turned over to an insurance company.
Reach Reid Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org.