Cortez is predicted to receive 1 to 2 inches of total snowfall this weekend, but Southwest Colorado mountain passes could see 3 feet.
According to the National Weather Service, snow is expected to start in Cortez before 3 p.m. Friday, with an 80 percent chance of precipitation. Accumulation of 1 to 2 inches is possible. Friday night, the chance of snow drops to 20 percent.
The Colorado Department of Transportation warned “a significant amount of snow” was expected over southwest mountains. Driving north of Montezuma County along Highway 145, motorists could run into as much as three feet of snow on Lizard Head Pass by late Friday. The same is forecast for Wolf Creek Pass on Highway 160, east of Durango.
The weekend forecast in Cortez calls for high temperatures near 40 degrees and lows in the teens.