Mancos has seen some cancellations in recent weeks in light of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Mancos Public Library closes until further noticeAs of Tuesday, the Mancos Public Library is now closed until further notice. Last week, the library decided to cancel all its programming and classes, but on Monday, it announced it would be closed to the public, although staff will still be available via email.
“As long as we are healthy, we will be working remotely to serve your informational needs as best we can,” Lee Hallberg, the library’s executive director, wrote in a Facebook post.
The book drop will be closed as well, and all fines or charges for overdue materials will be waived. Readers are asked to keep all checked-out items at home.
The library’s wireless internet will remain on, which patrons can still access from outside the building. The network name is “Guest” and password is “Guest123.” The library’s digital services will remain available through the Mancos Public Library website, including ebooks, e-audiobooks and the Kanopy movie streaming service.
While the formerly scheduled Art Journal workshops were canceled along with other library programming, the classes’ instructor Lille Diane will still be leading a virtual version of the sessions, now called “PJs & Paint.” For more information or to sign up, visit the Facebook page Lille Diane Art Feeds My Soul or contact the Mancos Public Library.
The much-anticipated ‘Blacksmith’ is postponedThe much-anticipated opera performances coming to the Mancos Opera House this spring have been canceled, although organizers are hoping to reschedule the shows for the fall.
“The Blacksmith,” a two-act French comic opera updated to take place in Mancos in the late 19th century, was set to be performed on May 2 and 3 by the Washington, D.C.-based Opera Lafayette, in collaboration with the Mancos Creative District and Opera House.
But both those shows have been canceled, along with a special performance on April 30 with student and community musicians. They hope to reschedule the shows for September, said Anne Beach, director of the Mancos Creative District.
School district extends spring break by a weekMancos School District Re-6 announced Tuesday that it would extend spring break an additional week, alongside its neighboring districts in Cortez and Dolores.
“This is a difficult decision that was not taken lightly, and I realize school closures oftentimes cause undue hardship to our families,” Superintendent Brian Hanson wrote in a letter to families. “However, the health and safety of our students and staff are always our number one priority.”
School is set to resume Monday, March 30, but the district’s leadership team will meet March 25 to re-evaluate the situation and see if other closings are also needed. As of Tuesday, the district does not plan to provide meals nor move to an online instructional format, Hanson said, although that might change.
“Over the next several weeks, and possibly months, our daily lives could look significantly different than they did mere weeks ago,” Hanson said. “The best advice I can give is to stay calm, stay informed, be patient, and take care of your families.”
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.