A winter weather advisory is in effect from 8 p.m. Monday to 5 p.m. Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service. One to 3 inches of snow is possible in Montezuma County Monday night.
Snowfall is expected to be moderate to heavy beginning Monday evening, with 40 mph winds above 9,500 feet in the San Juan Mountains. There’s a 30% chance of precipitation, the weather service said.
Icy and snowpacked roads and blowing snow will make travel difficult. Whiteout conditions are possible.
In Montezuma County, temperatures are expected to fall to 19 degrees Monday night, and to 13 degrees Tuesday night. There’s a 20% chance of snow on Tuesday and Wednesday, and a 60% chance of snow showers Wednesday night and Thanksgiving Day. The chance of snowfall decreases Friday and Saturday.
In La Plata County, lows are expected to drop to 16 degrees Monday night and 10 degrees Tuesday night. There’s a 20% chance of snow Wednesday, and an 80% chance of snow on Thanksgiving Day. Snow showers also are possible through Saturday.