Despite a bond reduction earlier this week for a convicted sex offender, the defendant is expected to remain behind bars for the foreseeable future.
After hearing lengthy arguments from both prosecutors and defense attorneys on Monday, Oct. 7, Chief District Court Judge Doug Walker momentarily rested his chin in the palm of his hands. He then leaned back in his chair and sighed deeply, not once, but twice before granting a defense motion to reduce bond for 54-year-old Andrew Allmon of Cortez to $30,000.
“These particular charges and the previous case are very concerning,” said Judge Walker. “The court must balance its position.”
Judge Walker indicated the defendant’s criminal history was a factor in his determination, and said statistics show that sex offender incidents often outweigh the actual number of convictions. He balanced the scales of justice to reduce the bond, citing court officials determined that Allmon was not a flight risk.
Allmon was indicted by a grand jury in August on nine felony counts of sexual assault on a child. He’s been incarcerated since on a $75,000 bond. During Monday’s proceedings, Allmon indicated he could afford to make only a $1,000 bond.
Records reveal an 8-year-old girl is the alleged victim in the case, stemming from incidents that occurred over a two-week period in June at Allmon’s N. State Street residence. The crimes allegedly occurred six weeks after Allmon invited the victim’s family to move into his residence while they were experiencing hard economic times.
Allmon was previously convicted in 2008 on charges of false imprisonment and sexual assault of a minor in San Juan County, N.M.
His next scheduled court appearance is 10:30 a.m. Nov. 7.