Were it not for Southwest Memorial Hospital, I would likely not be here to write this letter.
On Oct. 11, I was working at my ranch when I suddenly felt unsteady and knelt to rest. Unable to continue my work, I somehow made it back to my house and realized I needed help. I thought I might drive myself to the hospital. Fortunately, a friend stopped by and found me on my living room floor. By now, I was shaking uncontrollably with chills and had begun vomiting.
We drove to the emergency room at Southwest Memorial where a nurse helped me to nearby imaging equipment while asking me questions such as, “Could I elevate both arms with equal strength? Was my vision equally good in both eyes? Could I use one leg as well as the other?” These questions seemed to be in support of a possible diagnosis of stroke.
Ultimately, the diagnosis was not stroke but rather sepsis, an infection in my bloodstream. Within two days, the organism was identified and the antibiotic identified to control the bacteria. I slept in comfort at the hospital for about 14 hours a day for four days while the drugs did their work. During this time, I was cared for by skilled doctors, nurses, technicians and other staff.
Thanks to that team I’m back to normal, living my life fully and tending to my ranch. Many thanks to the hospital staff in our backyard. You saved my life.