A toddler who suffered severe burns after falling into a electric roaster at a residence in Yellow Jacket is recovering at an Idaho burn center.
Her mother, Samantha Camp, said her family was on vacation visiting a relative when the accident occurred June 14. The small trailer home has limited counter space so an electric roaster cooking a pork roast had been placed on the floor and operated overnight. The address and homeowner were not made available.
The next morning, the Camp family was cooking breakfast when 2-year old Millie somehow fell into the scalding roasting pan, possibly thinking it was a chair.
“We took our eyes off of her for a second, and that’s when it happened,” Camp said in an interview from the hospital. “It was a bad accident, and we all feel terrible about what happened. It was a mistake to have that on the floor.”
The family drove her to Southwest Memorial Hospital emergency room, and were momentarily delayed by construction.
Southwest is not equipped to treat severe burns, so she was airlifted to Children’s Hospital in Aurora on Flight for Life airplane from the Cortez Municipal Airport.
Millie’s recovery is going well so far, Camp said, and will take time. She has been hospitalized since the incident and is being treated at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center.
Skin grafts were put on the exposed burns to allow time for them to heal. Once they do, the grafts are removed and Millie’s own skin is harvested from one part of her body and put over the burned area.
“She’s in pretty good spirits. Her siblings come over to visit and don’t want to leave her,” Camp said. “The whole family is staying positive and supporting each other through this.”
The family is concerned about rising medical costs. A Paypal donation account has been set up for the Camp family. Donations can be made from a Paypal account or credit card to username firstname.lastname@example.org
There were no charges associated with the incident, Montezuma County Sheriff Steve Nowlin said, because it was reported by the hospital as an accident.