A man died in a motor home that caught fire south of Cortez about 1:30 a.m. Sunday, according to Montezuma County Sheriff Steve Nowlin.
Patrick Goddard, 63, was found dead after a fire engulfed the vehicle he was living in at 21455 County Road F. His dog also died in the fire.
“When rescuers arrived the RV was totally engulfed,” Nowlin said.
Propane space heaters used in the 1978 motor home are the suspected cause, he said. Foul play is not suspected. An autopsy on Goddard is expected this week.
Neighbors woken by explosions, likely from the propane tanks, reported the fire.
Goddard was a longtime resident of the area, Nowlin said. His relatives have been notified.
The Cortez Fire Protection District and Montezuma County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene.