A house fire in Cortez early Tuesday morning was attributed to an improperly vented wood-burning stove.
Cortez Police Lt. Andy Brock said two people were in the home, on North Edith Street, when the call came in about 3:15 a.m. Tuesday. Both exited the home without any injuries. Firefighters were called back to the scene about 9:30 a.m. because the fire was still smoldering.
Cortez Fire Protection District Lt. Charlie Borden said a piece of insulation in the home was still burning. Firefighters used thermal imaging cameras and a hose to put out the embers. Damage to the exterior of the home was minimal and appeared limited to one side of the home.
Sean Canada, Cortez fire inspector, said an improperly vented wood-burning stove caused the fire. He said such fires happen more common than he’d like.
Canada recommended anyone with a wood-burning stove or similar appliance to call the city’s 24-hour inspection line, at 970-564-4071, to check if they need an inspection or permit. He said it’s a minor process.