A small fire house early Sunday afternoon was contained to the attic of the home, according to the Cortez Fire Protection District.
Assistant Fire Chief Charles Balke said an attic fire started at about 12:30 p.m. at the residence of 32271 Highway 160.
Balke said the crews, which included, eight firefighters, four apparatus from the fire department, deputies from the Montezuma County Sheriff's Office and an ambulance from Southwest Memorial Hospital, were able to contain the fire to the attic of the home before it spread.
Balke said the fire damage is estimated to be between $10,000 to $15,000 and is believed to have been accidental and caused by a stove top fireplace.
He also said firefighters were at the location for 2.5 hours and added the home at this time is inhabitable.